Wednesday, March 7, 2012

The Priest -- 8


After breakfast, Jozef couldn’t wait to get away. He rode Leon’s scooter past the circus grounds and onto the grass surrounding the tree. The circus tent was already down, a mass of men busy rolling up the fabric. Others lugged masts and beams around, amidst yelling and shouting at each other.

 He arrived at the spot she had indicated, but Nina wasn’t in sight. He leaned the scooter against the tree without taking his eyes off the circus grounds. Maybe she had forgotten. Or she had just teased him, never intending to meet him here. Girls were like that. At least, his older brothers always said so. His heart heavy, he sat down and pulled out a blade of grass. It would have been so much fun to have a wild ride with her. Alone, it wouldn’t be half as good.

A shadow fell over him. He looked up, blinking into the sun.

She said, “Hello. Sorry I’m late.”

Jozef jumped up and stood, gazing at her. She looked so nice in a very unladylike pair of billowing pants under her dress. Her hair was combed back into the same curly bun as yesterday and held with the same pink bow. Her smile was even more amazing than he remembered.

“My dad and my brothers kept me busy.” She twirled a curl that had come loose from her bun. “But they finally went out to help with the tent. So here I am.”

“Great.” He turned to the scooter. “Look what I got. Have you ever ridden one of these?”

She shook her head. “No one in the circus has one. But I’ve seen them before.”

“Would you like to ride with me?”

He clapped her hands and nodded. “That would be so great!”

He picked up the scooter. “Let’s take a tour through the town first. The roads are smoother.” He held the scooter out to her. “Step onto the board here in front of me.”

She did.

“Now put your hands closer to the inside of the handlebars, so I can put mine onto the outside.” He stepped on behind her and coasted them to the road, where they took off.

They whizzed by the bakery and the butcher, being careful to avoid shoppers and the occasional carriages. One lady stopped and stared after them, mouth wide open.

Nina laughed out loud.

Finally Jozef took them back to the tree where they stopped. “Did you see that woman staring at us?” He laughed all over again.

But Nina didn’t join in. “People look at me like that a lot. That’s because I’m black and different from what they’re used to.”

“Oh. I thought they were surprised at how fast we went.”

Now she smiled. “Maybe it was both. Anyway, you never looked at me like that. That’s why I came.”

“But I was surprised when I saw you. At how pretty you are. My oldest brother already has a girlfriend, but I’ve never seen a girl as beautiful as you.”

She sat in the grass, leaning against the tree. “You really mean that.” Surprise swung in her voice.

Jozef dropped the scooter and joined her. “I have to go back soon. I’d be in so much trouble if my family would find out I met a girl. I’m supposed to become a priest when I grow up. I’ll never have a girlfriend or a wife.”

“I have to get back too. My father is very proud. He would beat me if he knew I met a local child. And a boy at that.” She giggled.

Jozef tore out another blade of grass. “You know, it’s not so bad being a priest. I don’t think I’d want a girlfriend, anyway.”

“Oh?”

“I mean, except for you.”

She kept looking at the grass, and he couldn’t read the expression on her face. Eventually she said, “We’re leaving right after noon. But I heard my father say that we’ll probably be back next year.”

“I’ll be there. I promise.”

“I’ll be looking for you. Don’t forget me.”

“I won’t. I brought you something.” He pulled his favorite stone, the shiny, blood-red one, out of his pocket. “Here. I found it near the stream that goes by our fields two years ago. It’s my favorite.”

She took it. “It’s beautiful. Are you sure you want to give it away?”

He nodded. “Yes. I saved it for something special. And that’s you.”

She laughed. “That’s the nicest gift I’ve ever had. And the nicest compliment.”

From the circus, a deep voice called, “Nina! Where are you?”

Nina got up. “I have to go.”

Jozef rose, too. She threw her arms around him, kissed him on the cheek, and stepped back. “Good bye.”

“Until next year,” he said, but she was already running toward the circus enclosure. She turned once, waved at him, and was gone.

No comments:

Post a Comment