Saturday, March 31, 2012

29 -- Jozef and Konrad Talk


A month later Jozef was sitting at his desk, trying to concentrate on the numbers of this year’s harvest. His mind kept skipping to the disaster at his last meeting with Nina. He tried to think of nothing and doodled on a piece of scrap paper. A knock sounded on the door.

His man Mariusz opened the door.

Konrad stomped in, rubbing his hands from the late autumn cold outside. Jozef rose and glanced at what he had doodled. It was a round face, laced with black curls. Large dark eyes looked at him from the paper. He grabbed it, wadded it up and threw it into the waste basket.

In the living room, he bade Konrad sit in the easy chair and offered him a drink and a cigar. They smoked quietly for a while. Eventually Konrad asked, “How are things going so far, Jozef? Are you happy with us?”

Jozef wiped a sad memory from his mind. “You don’t have to ask. I love the work and I really enjoy your family. I couldn’t be happier.” He was lying, but it was a lie intended to cheer up Konrad.

“And I’m happy with you.” Konrad fell silent for a few puffs. “Jozef, you’ve been a priest, so I know you can keep a confidence. It seems not everything in the family is developing as it should.” He bent forward. “Don’t get me wrong. We’re all delighted at Sylwia’s and Karel’s engagement. He’s a nice young man and will make her a great husband. And his father’s holdings will provide her with everything she’ll ever want.”

“I always knew that Karel would be a good match for her,” Jozef said. “How is the rest of the family doing?” He thought of Maja who had lost weight in the last month. She was pale and quiet, not at all like she used to be. He hoped she wasn’t ill.

Konrad bent forward in his chair. “It’s Maja who worries me. For a while, Bolek Kaczka from the Kaczka estate across the river was coming around. We all thought he came for her. But ever since Sylwia’s engagement right after the circus left, she’s been avoiding him. I don’t want her to end up an old maid, but it looks that’s where she’s heading. Bolek would make her a good husband. He’s a little older, so he would be patient with her. He isn’t wealthy, like Karel’s parents, but he’s well off enough to give her a good life. And I’m sure she would learn to love him. But every time I broach that subject, she starts crying and runs to her room. I just don’t know what to do.”

Jozef had been wondering about her too. She hardly came to see him anymore, as she had done so often before. “Have you sent for the doctor for her? She might be ill.”

“The doctor declared her healthy, just in a fugue. She seems to be terribly sad and can’t pull out of it. And if anyone wants to talk to her, she just cries and flees. Do you mind if I send her to you? You’ve been friends before. Maybe she’ll open to you.”

Jozef could so understand her. So often, if he wasn’t careful, he felt a similar sadness come over him, a feeling that he had made a terrible mistake, and that his life would now be devoid of meaning and happiness. He nodded. “She is my friend. I’ll try to talk to her. But don’t send her. Just tell her that I’m lonely and would love her to visit for a while.”

Konrad stubbed out his cigar and rose. “You have made my heart lighter. Just talking to you helps me sort things out in my own mind. I will do as you suggest.” Already at the door, he turned and looked Jozef in the eyes. “And, if she’s partial to you, I wouldn’t mind at all. You’re a good fellow.”

Jozef chuckled. “We’re good friends, that’s all. I think neither I or you have to worry about a development in that direction.”

“However this will develop, I trust you’ll do the honorable thing.”

Jozef once had thoughts about Maja, but that was before… He couldn’t go in that direction now or ever again. And he was pretty sure that Maja, if she ever had designs on him, had forsaken that idea. Or had she? He’d just have to wait and see. He held out his hand to Konrad. “You can rely on that.”

They shook hands and Konrad left.

No comments:

Post a Comment