Monday, March 19, 2012

18 -- The Priest Receives a New Position

When Jozef rose the next morning, the feeling that his path in life did not include the priesthood grew even stronger. He dressed, preparing himself for a struggle with the bishop the. He would be reverential, he decided, but he would stick by his decision.

As before, the bishop sat in his chair behind the desk and smiled at Jozef. His eyes were warm and seemed to be understanding. “How do you feel today, my son?”

Jozef’s last doubts vaporized in the warmth of Bishop’s Majewski’s smile. “I feel fine.”

“Are you still determined to leave the priesthood?”
“I still feel that the priesthood is wrong for me. I’m needed somewhere else.”

“It may surprise you, my son, but I too, have prayed and fasted on your behalf. I’m not so sure about you leaving the priesthood, but I feel you need a change. One of my good friends needs a manager for his estate, and I think working for him for a few months might put your work for the church into a different light. If you’re willing, you can start working for my friend next week.”

“I’m willing to do that. I still feel I need to leave the priesthood, but I’ll submit to your wisdom and will wait. Do I need to return to my parish?”

“No need to. I’ll send out a new priest this afternoon.  You get your things ready. You’ll stay here until Monday, in fasting and prayer. I’ll introduce you to my friend Konrad Bukowski, and you’ll go with him on Monday. He has a little house ready for you on his estate, and he will make you familiar with your new duties. I will still expect you to wear your collar and behave in the manner that behooves a priest, understand?”

Jozef’s heart grew lighter. He might never see Nina again, but he felt the Bishop had made a good decision. Surely his new life on Panje Bukowski’s lands would bring him closer to what God had in mind for him.

He thanked the bishop, who also seemed relieved, and went to prepare for his new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment