Saturday, March 24, 2012

23 -- Jozef Makes Plans

Maja reddened. “I mean, Mama is always feeling faint, and she doesn’t like to go to places like a circus. And Papa is always working. I bet they would be so glad if you’d accompany us children.”

Jozef hardly heard her. He stared at the poster. Maybe it was a different circus. Then he’d be delighted to take Konrad’s children. But no such luck. It was Circus Franzesco. Her circus. He turned to Maja, ignoring his thumping heart. “It’s all right. I’ll talk to your father, and we’ll go from there.” He pointed up the road. “I’ll have to go and talk to the mayor. I trust you will be all right with your sister and Karel?”

Still blushing, Maja nodded. “I’ll be fine.”

Karel and Sylwia finally noticed Maja and Jozef weren’t with them. They stopped, turned back, and rejoined them.

“Thank you so much for the pleasure of your company,” Jozef said. He bowed and left, his mind on his dilemma.

Jozef conducted his business with the mayor, and walked back home. Maybe if he conveniently ‘forgot’ to talk to Konrad, the family would make other arrangements and visit the circus without him. After all, he hadn’t been hired to become part of the family, even though, he suspected some of the family would like that.
The next few days passed, with Jozef tackling the complaints of the peasants in another, very small settlement. He loved working with these simple and unpretentious people. They always did what they could to help him dissolve the problems the old manager had left.

On Friday evening, however, a knock came on his door. He opened the door and Konrad stood before him, smiling.

Jozef bade him enter, and together they smoked a pipe and discussed the land.

Konrad took his pipe out of his mouth and smiled at Jozef. “All in all, my dear Panje Wawrzyniak, you’re doing a fantastic job. The peasants are happier, the discrepancies in the paperwork are solved, and it seems we’ll have a nice income this year. You can probably look forward to an extra bonus for Christmas.”

Jozef leaned back. “It doesn’t seem like work to me. I really enjoy working with the people, and the paperwork just seems to flow. I’m very happy here.”

Konrad nodded and took another puff on his pipe. “Do you think you could do me and my family a small favor this weekend? You’d enjoy it too, I’m sure.”

Oh no, Jozef thought. He’s probably going to ask me to take the children to the circus. Half of him recoiled at having to see Nina, who now belonged to another. But the other half was excited and delighted to see the woman who held his heart one more time. “What do you have in mind?” he asked Konrad.

“Would you take my little boys and the girls to the circus on Saturday? I really can’t get out of an obligation I have, and their mother is feeling poorly again. It will do her good to have the children out of the house for a while. That is, if you don’t have anything else planned.”

Before he could change his mind, Jozef said, “I’d love to. You’re children are so well behaved. I always enjoy being around them.”

Konrad rose. “That’s settled then.” He shook Jozef’s hand. “And, thank you so much.”

No comments:

Post a Comment