Sunday, March 4, 2012

The Priest -- 6

“Hi,” Jozef said to the dark skinned girl leaning against the empty animal cage.

She glanced at him, then down at her feet. “Hi.”

What should he say next? He thought of her riding the elephant and blurted out, “The best part of all the performances was when you rode that elephant into the ring.”

“It wasn’t a big deal. Not like the tightrope walkers.”

“You looked so beautiful on top of that large animal, and I could tell you loved it and loved riding it.”

She glanced up at him with another of her brilliant smiles and nodded.

“Have you always lived in the circus?”

Again she nodded.

Mama’s strident voice came from the other side of the elephant, where his brothers were dismounting. “Jozef! Where are you?”
He turned to the girl, knowing he had only a few minutes left. “Can you play tomorrow? I’ll be in town until late afternoon.”

She nodded. “I’m not supposed to. But yes. They’re taking down the tent tomorrow morning and I'd just be in the way.”

“Good. I’ll be here at ten in the morning.” He nodded toward the large tree just outside the circus fence. “I’ll be waiting for you there. My name is Jozef, by the way.”

She gave him another of her amazing smiles. “I’m Nina. I’ll be there.”

“Great. I can’t wait. But I have to go now.”

He turned and saw his mother striding toward him. “Haven’t I told you to stay put? What would happen to you if you’d get lost?”

“It’s okay Mama. I didn’t get lost.” He followed her back toward where the rest of the family was standing, his brothers excitedly talking.

Mama stopped and frowned at him. “These gypsies could have kidnapped you and I’d have never seen you again. Did you ever think of that?”

“Oh Mama. They are circus artists, not gypsies. And I don’t think they kidnap people.”

She patted his head. “Maybe so. In any case you’re back safe.”

They joined the other brothers and Papa. Jozef glanced back at the cage, but the girl had disappeared. He hardly heard Januz talk about the ride. All he could think about was meeting Nina the next day.

No comments:

Post a Comment