Saturday, March 10, 2012

11 -- The Priest Hears Confession

Jozef checked the clock on the wall. It was time to get to the confession booth before Monday morning mass. He finished his breakfast, put on his surplice, and went to hear confession.

“Bless me Father, for I have sinned,” came from the other side of the divider in the confessional. Jozef recognized the voice of the butcher’s eldest son. He listened to his sins, which had to do with impure thoughts about the neighbor’s girl and transgressions against his brothers. He absolved him and charged him so say eight Ave Maria’s for penance.

The young man left, and Jozef leaned back. No one else came. He checked the time. Another fifteen minutes and he’d have to do mass.

A shadow darkened the partiton. Jozef leaned forward.

“Bless me father, for I have sinned.” A female voice which he couldn’t place right away.

Automatically, he answered, “How long has it been since your last confession?”

A sigh. “Much too long.”

Suddenly Jozef didn’t know what to say. It couldn’t be Nina, could it?

The voice on the other side repeated the sentence. “Much too long. Why weren’t you there when we came back, as you had promised?”

“I couldn’t. I had the mumps and Mama wouldn’t let me leave my room for two weeks, for fear I’d pass it on to my bothers. When I was finally allowed to go outside again, the circus was gone.” He sighed. “But I did think about you all that time.”

“Oh. I thought you had forgotten. I really had fun that day.”

“I did too.” He didn’t know what else to say. He was a priest now, just as he had told her. This had to be the last time they’d see each other.

She saved him from saying anything else. “That was a long time ago. I don’t work with the elephant much anymore.”

“I noticed. You’re very good at the high wire.”

“I have to go. Anyway, I’m engaged to be married. I just wanted you to know.”

His heart constricted. He fought to keep his voice neutral as he said, “Congratulations. Who is the lucky man?”

“Our manager. His wife died. I’ll be the new mother for his two children. He’s really nice.”

“That sounds great. You’ll have a complete family. I wish you the very best. With all my heart.”

Silence on the other side. Finally she said, “We’re leaving tonight. I have some time this afternoon, around two o’clock.”

Jozef smiled to himself. “Did you see that large tree right behind the church? Right by it, there’s a path leading into the woods.”

“I noticed it. I have to go. Good bye, Jozef.”

He heard the rustling of women’s clothing and she was gone.

Jozef went to celebrate mass in front of the few people that had drifted into the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment