Tuesday, March 20, 2012

19 -- The Priest Starts a New LIfe


Jozef looked out of the coach window at the vast wheat and oat fields that surrounded the estate home of Konrad Bukowski. The coach bumped along a wide path, flanked by apple and pear trees. Peasants working in the fields looked up and waved, probably recognizing the horses and the coat of arms on the coach, before returning to their tasks.

Judging from the smiles on their faces, Konrad must be a gentle master. The coachman pulled the horses up to the curb, pulled Jozef’s luggage from the top of the coach and bade him to exit. 

The butler led Jozef to a waiting room only a little less elegant than the bishop’s office. Tapestries decorated the wall, and a large fireplace sported a crackling and flickering fire. A tall, portly man entered. “Jozef Wawrzyniak?” He held out his hand.

Jozef nodded. “Yes. I come from the Bishop’s offices.”

“I know. I’m Konrad Bukowski. Welcome to my home.” He pointed to a lovely sofa covered in green velvet, that flanked the fireplace. Jozef sat down, in front of a gleaming cherry wood table.

Konrad took a seat on an upholstered chair opposite him and bent forward. “I need a manager, and you come highly recommended. But before I show you your new home and duties, I want to introduce you to my family.”

A maid entered, carrying a tray heaped with cheeses, bread, and two glasses of wine. Jozef hadn’t seen such good food since he had to leave his own home as a boy.

Konrad turned to the maid. “Basia, please tell my wife and children to come and meet the new manager.” He pointed to the tray Basia had placed onto the table between him and Jozef. “Help yourself. I gather you haven’t eaten a lot lately.”

“Thank you so much. You’re right, I am hungry.” He helped himself to a piece of bread and a chunk of cheese.

Konrad sipped on his wine and watched him. “Since you’re a priest, you have the skills and understanding to manage such a large estate as mine. And I can rely on your honesty. My last manager left me in a mess.”

The sound of footsteps came from beyond the door. Konrad rose. “But let’s leave that for later. Here’s my family.”

The door opened.

No comments:

Post a Comment