Monday, March 12, 2012

13 -- The Priest and Nina Meet Again

Nina, in a green and white striped dress with a matching green hat, was leaning against the tree. She smiled as she saw him and stepped toward him. “No roller scooter this time, eh?”

He laughed. It was so good to be with her.  “No. Not this time. How do you feel about a walk in the woods?”

“I’d love to.”

Side by side they walked the path into the woods. Neither spoke. Jozef was aware of the birds singing in the trees, and of the woodsy smell of the foliage after the morning rain. But he was most aware of the soft rustling of Nina’s dress and of her hand next to his, not quite touching.

Finally he turned to her. “Have you always lived in the circus? Here in Poland?”

“I have. My family came to Poland when I was a baby. My father and the circus owner were friends. Father knew that life here would be so much better than it was in Africa.”

“I’m glad you like it here.”

“It’s my home now, even though father doesn’t like us to associate too much with the natives.”

Jozef laughed. “Well said! I guess we are the natives here, after all!” He grew serious. “You looked so sad when I met you when we were little.” And so very pretty at the same time, the thought, but didn’t say it. It wasn’t his to say.

“My mother had died a few months earlier, and everything was so messed up. Father ignored me and my brothers made me do all the work at home. I wasn’t their mother. I could hardly do it. And then you came and talked to me. It was as if you were an angel, sent from heaven to help me through this.”

She shrugged and stayed silent for several steps.

“I’m sorry.” Jozef didn’t know what else to say.

“Don’t be. That’s all over now. I’ll be married this winter, and my father and brothers will have to fend for themselves. And you have dedicated your life to be an angel like you were to me, to others.”

“I’m glad you’ll get married.” Jozef was surprised that he really meant it. “I hope you’ll be very happy. I will be thinking of you this winter.” He couldn’t keep a wistful tone out of his voice.

As if to change the subject, Nina asked, “Have you always felt a calling for the priesthood?”

The question caught Jozef by surprise. He’d never thought about it like that before. “I don’t know. I knew since I was very small that I would be a priest. That’s what a youngest son is destined for. I really don’t know whether I’ve felt a calling inside me. It seemed such a sure thing for me.”

Her earnest gaze seemed to search his heart. “Maybe you should ask God for a confirmation of your calling. I think every priest should have that, or he wouldn’t be a very good priest.”

“You’re so right. I will be looking for that surety deep within me. And I will find it, eventually. There are too many priests who don’t magnify their calling. I don’t want to be one of them.”

They walked on in silence. Jozef kept his mind a careful blank, concentrating on the sounds and sights of the woods.

Nina stopped. “I need to get back.”

“Okay.”

They turned and walked back. When they were close enough to see the tree, Nina slowed. “Thanks for listening. Thanks for everything,” she said. She stepped closer, took his hand in hers, and kissed the edge of his mouth. Jozef didn’t dare breathe or move.

She turned and walked away from him. He watched her round the bend by the tree. She was gone and Jozef stood in the cool embrace of the woods for several more minutes before he, too, left and went back to his small apartment behind the church.

No comments:

Post a Comment