Monday, June 25, 2012

Mustard and Love 28


Brett reached across the restaurant table and patted her hand. “That’s where you come in, sweetheart. Also, you’re a woman, and if it really was Isabella who hid the papers, you’d probably find them a lot easier than I would.”
Daphne almost dropped her wine glass. “What? You expect me to ransack her house for something I don’t know anything about?” She shook her head vigorously. “No way am I doing that.”
Brett put his hand over hers, trying to calm her, but she’d be darned if she’d let him use her that way.
Brett said, “It will be easy. I’ll make sure she and her brat are gone. All you have to do is sneak in in the dark and look for the papers. I’ll show you later what they should look like.”
“Oh? So you’ll have all the fun, taking her out and making love to her, while I’m breaking and entering.” She pulled her hand away from under his. “Find someone else to be your patsy.” She dug into her last bite of the really very good lobster, ready to get up and storm out of the restaurant.
Brett held out his hands. “I won’t make love to her, you know that. First, I don’t like her that much. You excite me. You’re so much sexier than she is. And second, I’ll have that little brat hanging around the whole night, pestering me. And I have to pretend to like him and be nice to him. It won’t be easy on me at all.”
He had a point there. “Would serve you right, trying to pull me into your illegal schemes,” she grumbled, but relaxed a little.
Brett went on. “And if you find it, just think of how rich and influential we’ll be. You’ll have everything you ever wanted, and more. All it takes is one evening of searching. If you put things back the way they were, Isabella will never know. You’ll be perfectly safe.”
The thought of money made her forget everything else. She’d marry Brett, and they’d have a large mansion, with servants. She could get the most expensive fashions, and get the breast enhancements she’d always wanted. And so much more. Maybe Brett was right, it would be worth the very small risk.
“Well okay. You have a point. Let’s finish the dinner and go over to my place. We can work out the details there.”
“And afterward, we can…” He leered at her, a very cute leer. “You know what I mean.”
He was such a charmer! She couldn’t wait to get him alone again.

No comments:

Post a Comment