Sunday, June 10, 2012

Mustard and Love 21


Fernando finished the last bite, watching Isabella. She frowned into her food and wouldn’t meet his eyes. His heart ached for her. She had to believe that he was a liar and a coward. He didn’t know how to convince her otherwise.
Tony pushed his plate away. “I’m all done. Can I go and watch TV?”
“Go ahead,” Isabella said.
Tony jumped up and disappeared into the living room.
Isabella leaned back in her chair. “Now tell me what really happened to you. You got scared, couldn’t face having a family and disappeared. Right?”
“I did not. I wanted to marry you. I still do.”
Isabella’s knuckles around her water glass were white. “So why didn’t you do it instead of running away?”
Fernando shook his head. She wanted him to humble himself, to admit to something he didn’t do. Right now there was nothing he could do to convince her otherwise. At least he could warn her. “You really believe that.” He sighed. “I guess it doesn’t matter. You and Tony are in danger, that’s why I am here.”
It seemed as if Isabella hadn’t heard the last thing he’d said. She slammed down her glass, rose and pointed a finger at him. “It doesn’t matter what I believe? It doesn’t? If that’s how you feel, I never want to see you again. And don’t you tell me what kinds of danger I am in. I’ve gotten along just fine so far, and will be in the future.”
Fernando also rose. “But Isabella! I didn’t mean it like that. I mean that Brett is a real danger to you. You need to take Tony and leave. Go to your mother or a friend or something. You’re not safe with Brett around.”
A tear ran down Isabella’s cheek. “I don’t want to hear any more. Get out.”
Fernando had to try once more. She couldn’t dismiss him like this. She needed to listen. “What can I do to convince you? What can I say? Please!”
“Nothing, except the truth.” She ran to the front door and ripped it open. “Good bye!”

No comments:

Post a Comment