Monday, June 4, 2012

Mustard and Love 17


Fernando left the lab, whistling. The next batch of tests had proved true, and he’d made copious notes. Now on to go home. He, Isabella, and Tony were going out tomorrow morning to buy the perfect engagement ring. He could hardly wait. But first he needed to secure the notes, just in case. They were too valuable to just have laying around the lab. He’d already put the original plant and the first set of enzymes in the safe place he’d chosen.
He walked down the campus walkway to the street when a car stopped beside him. Brett again. What a lucky stroke. If Brett would give him another ride, he’d save an hour travel on the crowded bus.
Brett rolled down the passenger side window. “Hi! Long time no see. Hop in and I’ll give you a ride.”
Fernando bent to look into the window. “Are you sure? I can take the bus.”
“I want to show you something in my lab. Is that okay? I’ll take you home right after. You’ll still be there faster than if you take the bus.”
“Okay.” Fernando jogged across the street and slipped into Brett’s car.
Brett merged into the sparse traffic.
Fernando watched him. “What is it you want to show me?”
“Just a small thing. But it’s idiosyncratic. I don’t know what to make of it. You were always better at going to the heart of bio-chemical questions, so I thought I’ll let you have a look at it.”
“Can’t wait to see it.”
Brett pulled the car into his garage and closed the garage door after them with his remote. “We might as well go through here. Come on.” He opened the door to the house.
One set of stairs led up and another one down. Brett pointed to the down stairs. “My lab is down here.”
Fernando followed him down the stairs.

No comments:

Post a Comment