Tuesday, June 12, 2012

Mustard and Love 22


Brett parked his BMW four rows behind where Daphne had parked and caught up with her in front of the shopping mall.
He touched her arm and she spun around. “Hi! Sorry I’m late. I got to the Spice Experience just as you pulled out of the parking lot and thought I’d follow you. Here I am.”
Her frown turned into a smile. “And I thought you were a player and don’t follow up.”
“How about I invite you to dinner and we can talk?”
“Sounds great to me.”
“I have a wonderful place in mind. We can  go in my car, or you can follow me in yours,”
She decided to come with him. He put on all his charm, asked about her and her dreams, and after dinner she invited him to her apartment.
Later, in bed, she snuggled up to him and sighed in satisfaction. “You’re a great lover.” She smiled up at him. “Must have had a lot of practice.”
He patted her rump, a knowing grin on his face. After a while he said, “This is an expensive apartment, up here on the highest floor. How can you afford it?”
“I have big plans, and I needed a place to impress. Glad you like it.”
“I have big plans too. If things work out, I’ll be rich beyond my wildest dreams.” Which brought his thoughts back to Isabella. “You know, your new cook, Isabella, she has something that belongs to me. I need to get her to trust me, so I can discover where it is. And then, my dear, we’ll be rich.”
“Isabella? She has nothing, just a kid and not even a boyfriend.”
“I don’t think she knows she has it. When I was a student, I used to room with her ex-boyfriend. I’m positive he hid it somewhere in her house. He as much as told me.”
Daphne played with a curl of her hair. “Hmmm. What is it?”
“It has something to do with a rare and new mustard spice. It’s an as yet undiscovered mustard plant. It has some properties a lot of people would pay a lot of money for. But since it’s a plant sample, probably dried, and notes on the chemical processed I did on it, it’s very hard to find, even in a small space. And Isabella’s place is so big. I’m trying to make friends with her so she will let me into her house. Maybe if I can look around I can get a better idea where Fernando might have hidden it. I know him pretty well.”
“Can it be that she know about it and just doesn’t want to take advantage of it? She’s such a little fool. If my boyfriend would have left something like that with me and then left me, I’d ruin him.”
Brett laughed. “Makes sense. That’s why I think she doesn’t know about it.”
“I could help you find out. I’ll make friends with her and see what I can find out.”
“Okay. And don’t worry if you see me talking to her. It’s all business.”
Daphne turned over and kissed his chest. She looked up. “Is this business too?”
Brett murmured, “No. Pure pleasure,” and rolled over on top of her.

No comments:

Post a Comment