Sunday, June 17, 2012

Mustard and Love 26


Daphne propped herself up on her pillow, chin in hand, and smiled at Brett, but her eyes were serious, speculating. “So Isabella told me something about her ex having been kidnapped. She also said that he told her she would be in danger of a certain guy named Brett. Seems like you haven’t told me the whole truth. What’s going on?”
Brett’s half-closed eyes snapped open. “Is that what she told you? What if I tell you it isn’t true? Fernando is either messing with her mind or he’s fantasizing.”
“I keep having the feeling that maybe Fernando is a lot more together than Isabella thinks. Come on, Brett, you can tell me. Whatever it is you want from them, it must be something big, and I want to be in on it.”
Brett also propped himself up, facing her. “What else did she say? Did you find out if she still has stuff of his?”
“She said she doesn’t. It all disappeared a week after he did. She sounded pretty sure.”
“Maybe she doesn’t know about it. I’m positive it is somewhere in her house.”
“What is? Come on, Brett, tell me.”
Brett leaned over and nuzzled her neck. “Mmmm. You taste delicious.”
Daphne twisted away from him. “Be serious. I want to know.”
 “I’ll tell you when I’m good and ready.” He sat up, staring at nothing. “I think I have an idea. Do you think you could somehow get a copy of her house key? If I could get into the house without her knowing, maybe I could find it.”
Daphne pouted. “I could get a copy, but not until I know what’s going on.”
Still absent-minded, Brett said, “Well okay. I’ll tell you. If you’re straight with me, I could make us both rich beyond our wildest dreams.” He told her about kidnapping Fernando, and about the many improvements on different food issues Fernando’s research had given him. “These things that I came up with all the time, or rather Fernando came up with, were the reason the company made me the head of research, which includes a very fancy apartment and my Corvette. But once I find the formula that makes it possible to develop that weight control aid, I’ll be set for life. I won’t need Fernando for that, just the formula.”
“After he escaped, why hasn’t Fernando told on you?”
“He tried. Two officers came with him to my house. I took them to the cellar. A day earlier, I had cleared all evidence of his captivity and of the lab I had there. They looked around, apologized and left. Fernando will never be a threat to a wealthy and influential man like I will be soon.”
Daphne snuggled closer. “I’ll have that key for you in the next few days.”

No comments:

Post a Comment