Friday, April 13, 2012

40 -- Jozef Makes Arrangements


Konrad bent forward, hands on his desk. “It’s good to see you back, Jozef. Who is your friend?”

Jozef introduced them and added, “I have to tell you something and have a favor to ask. Everything I say also concerns Panje Dubiki.”

Konrad nodded. “You have my full attention. Go ahead.”

 “I need to give notice. I can’t work here any longer.”

“But why? Aren’t you happy with the work?”

“I am. Very much so. But nevertheless, I need to go. It’s a long story. Maybe one day either I or Wizlaw here will tell it to you. But don’t worry. I brought Wizlaw to work for you in my stead. He is a competent manager and has managed a large estate in Germany.”

Wizlaw dug a paper out of his folder. “Jozef tells me you know German. Here is my recommendation.”

Konrad took it without looking at it. “I don’t understand. Are you going back to the priesthood, Jozef?”

“I’m not. I will be managing a circus, and hopefully will be marrying the girl of my dreams and one day have a family. That’s why I’m leaving.” He bent forward. “But, Konrad, it’s important that you hire Wizlaw. The happiness of Maja depends on it. I don’t want to say more than that.”

Konrad turned to Wizlaw, frowning. “Maja’s happiness? Are you purporting to know my daughter? Who are you anyway?”

Wizlaw reddened. “I’m a widower with two little girls. I met Maja a few months ago as I was traveling through this town. I believe Maja will be happy having me around.” He looked at his hands.

Konrad shook his head. “What can you offer her, besides a ready-made family?”

Wizlaw didn’t look up. “Not much. I’m sorry. I have some savings. I also have a good head on my shoulders and I’m competent. I believe I could work my way up in any good managerial position. And…” He looked up, still blushing, “I can offer her a heart full of love. I believe she will be happy with me and my girls.”

Jozef added, “If Wizlaw doesn’t work out, just send word to me, and I’ll gladly return.”

Konrad suddenly laughed. “I don’t think you have to worry about that. I don’t have a choice, have I? If her worrysome behavior had its roots in such a deep love that she was pining away, who am I to refuse her or her chosen?” He turned to Wizlaw. “But you better do a good job. Manage my estate as well as Jozef did, and treat her as well as she deserves to be treated, and we’ll have an agreement.”

Wizlaw rose and held out his hand. “Thank you so much, sir. You won’t be disappointed.”

Konrad also got up. He shook Wizlaw’s hand, a grin still on his face. Jozef thought those two would get along fine.

Konrad turned to Jozef. “And you Jozef, have probably done a very good deed. You’ve helped my daughter, just as you promised.” He shook his hand, also. “I wish you the best in your future endeavors. Is there anything I can do to help you move?”

“Yes. Can I borrow your large coach? I’ll use it to move my personal things. Let Wizlaw go with me. He’ll return in three days with his daughters and his furniture.”

“It’s done. And now you are excused, Jozef. Wizlaw stay here.”

Konrad rang the bell for his servant. “Please give word to Maja that she is to come and see me in my study immediately.”

Josef grinned and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment