Tuesday, April 3, 2012

32 -- Jozef Hears an Impossible Revelation


Maja jumped up from the bench. “Did something happen to Wizlaw? How do you know? Is he ill?”

Jozef pulled her hand to make her sit again. “It’s nothing like that. It’s just that I know something about him.” He stopped, sighed, and went on. “He’s married.”

“I know. His wife died and left him with two little girls. I met them. It’s okay.”

“No. He’s married now, a second time.”

Maja frowned at him. “I don’t believe you.”

“Didn’t you see the wedding ring he wore?”

“I did. He told me it was from his first marriage. He took it off on our last day. He said he was finally over her and didn’t need it anymore. He’s not married. He can’t be. He’s betrothed to me.”

Jozef patted her hand. “I’m so sorry, but you’re wrong. I know his new wife. She is one of the tightrope dancers. A black girl. Nina.” Her name felt like a dagger in his heart.

Maja laughed, a delightful, easy laugh, a laugh he hadn’t expected and had thought he’d never again hear from her.

“What’s so funny?” he said. He didn’t understand. Why would it seem funny to Maja that Wizlaw was married to Nina, when it was the truth?”

“You have it all wrong, Panje Wawrzyniak. I wonder who told you such lies.”

“What do you mean with lies? Nina told me herself.” Could it really be true that she wasn’t married after all? What kind of game was she playing with him?

“Now you listen, and I will talk,” Nina said, more forcefully and animated than he had seen her in many days.

He nodded, not knowing what to think. “Good. You talk. I’ll listen, and I will talk when you’re done.”

“Wizlaw told me about his first wife. She caught a fever last year and passed away within months. Wizlaw missed her a lot, but he was also overwhelmed with taking care of his daughters by himself. You see, he has no family. His mother died when he was young, and his father shortly after. He was the only child. His wife did have family, but they all live in Germany and none of them cared enough to come to Poland when she died.”

Jozef couldn’t keep quiet, even though he’d promised he would. “It’s a sad story, but what does it have to do with his second marriage?”

“I’m coming to that. He still loved his dead wife, but he needed someone to care for his children. He came to an understanding with one of the tightrope dancers, your Nina I guess. Nina has only two brothers, and she was lonely. Wizlaw needed a wife to take care of him and the girls, so they got engaged and planned to be married. But sometime this spring Nina came to him and asked him to dissolve the engagement. She told him her heart belonged to another, and she’d rather stay single. She agreed to keep house for him and the children, but she kept living with her brothers.”

Jozef couldn’t believe what he heard. “What? Are you sure?”

“Yes. The ring you saw on Wizlaw’s finger was from his first and only marriage. And now, he told me, he’d either be married to me or to no one.” Her shoulders sagged. “And I haven’t heard from him for so long. I so hope he is all right, even if he can’t find a position out of the circus.” She sighed and gathered herself. “Panje Wawrzyniak, you won’t tell anyone, will you? Please? Why are you so quiet?”

“I’m okay, Maja.” He patted her hand. The wheels were turning in his head. Maybe all wasn’t lost yet for Maja. “Let me think about this some, dear child. Maybe I can do something to help you.”

“Thanks for listening. I feel so much better already. But I better go back in now. It’s been getting chilly, and I think a storm is coming.” She rose, kissed him on his cheek and left.

No comments:

Post a Comment