Sunday, April 15, 2012

41 -- Jozef and Nina Meet Again -- The End of the Story


Three days later, Jozef sat in the kitchen of his new dwellings, the circus caravan, papers spread out around him and a cup of coffee in front of him. The day before, he had taken the bills for the animal feed from the office caravan to his home, where he kept the fire burning the whole night. He wanted to do some work on them in his home before going to the cold office, making a fire, and working there.

A knock sounded on the door. Jozef rose and opened it.

Nina, dressed in a pink dress and a blue handkerchief taming her dark curls, stood in front of him. Her eyes grew wide. “You! What are you doing here? Where is Wizlaw?”

When he saw her standing there, so beautiful and so spirited, Jozef’s heart threatened to jump out of his chest. He tried to hold back a smile. “Oh, you mean your husband? But come on in and tell me all about it.”

She glared at him, but entered the warm kitchen.

He closed the door, pulled out a chair for her. “Now tell me all about your wedding. Was it very nice?”

She stood in front of him, arms crossed. “None of your business! I don’t understand what’s going on here.” She pushed past him into the living room. “What happened to Wizlaw and the girls? Where are their things?”

It was all Jozef could do not to envelop her in his arms and cover her face with kisses. Instead, he gently put his hand on her shoulder. “Please, Nina. Sit, and I’ll explain. Can you do that?”

She brushed his hand off, turned and slumped into the kitchen chair. “All right. I’m listening.” Her scowl never left her face.

“I made a deal with your so-called husband. He went to Paszowice with his family and is now working for Panje Bukowski, the father of the girl he wants to marry. And I have accepted Panje Francesco’s offer of managing the circus. And that’s why I’m living here now.”

“I don’t understand. I thought… I thought you had a girl in Paszowice. What happened to her?”

“Do you mean my friend Maja? She’s engaged to be married to Wizlaw.” He shrugged. “I’m sorry you had that impression. I never wanted you to think that I had feelings for her beyond a friendship, because I don’t and never had.”

Jozef could see Nina blush, even under her dark skin. She stared at her hands on the table. “And why… why do you want to work in a circus? That’s very unusual.”

Jozef put his hand on top of hers. “Oh, Nina. Don’t you understand? I have never loved anyone as much as I love you. And where you are, that’s where I want to be. Tell me that I have a chance. I’ll be the best husband I can be. But if you don’t want me, let me know and I’ll leave again, as soon as I found a new manager for Panje Francesco. “

Nina didn’t look up. A hot tear splashed on the back of Jozef’s hand. He rose and moved around the table till he stood next to her. Gently, he put his finger under her chin and made her look up. “Say something. Please. I didn’t want to make you cry.”

Nina jumped up, threw her arms around him and buried her moist face in his shoulder. “Yes! Yes! You have a chance. You’re the only one who ever did.”

“So you’ll marry me?”

“I will. Tomorrow if you want.”

She looked up at him and Jozef sealed their engagement with a kiss.

***

A month later, Jozef and Nina had a joyful bright wedding in the circus tent.  It lasted for three days, and Wizlaw, his fiancĂ©e Maja, and Konrad were present.

***

Jozef and Nina had seven children.

Jozef did a great job managing the circus. With the years, Panje Francesco became a very good friend to Jozef and his family.  Panje Francesco had no children, and when he died, he left the circus to Jozef and Nina, who ran it until their oldest son, my father’s ancestor, was old enough to take over.

No comments:

Post a Comment