Tuesday, April 10, 2012

37 -- The Rest of Jozef's Plan


“Do you have a nanny?” Jozef asked Wizlaw.

“One of the artists, a young woman named Nina, is looking in on the girls every day until I can find a nanny willing to travel in the circus. But Nina isn’t here this week. She and her brothers are giving a performance in a neighboring town.”

Jozef nodded. What a lucky stroke that Nina was gone. This way, he could take care of his plans without being interrupted by his feelings for her.

He focused back on Wizlaw and his family. “You might need someone to be with your daughters while we’re going to Paszowice.”

“The Chan family have three children. Panni Chan often watches the girls for me. I could ask her to keep them till I come back.” Wizlaw bent forward. “You said there is more to your plan?”

“Yes.” Jozef hesitated. His plan suddenly sounded crazy to him. But no matter how crazy, it was what he needed to do. He took and deep breath and went on.  “I’d like to switch places with you.”

Wizlaw frowned. “You want to manage a circus?”

“Yes. Not just any circus, but Circus Francesco. Do you think you could help me get your position before we travel to Paszowice? I will guarantee that you can get on with Panje Bukowski. It he won’t take you, you can come back here, and you won’t have lost anything but a few days.”

Wizlaw laughed. “This is so unusual. Here is a complete stranger who wants to switch places with me. I will have all the advantages and you want to live in this tiny, crowded caravan wagon, with no special comforts. You’ll probably take a pay cut too.” He grew earned. “I cannot trust this arrangement. There has to be more in it for you, or there will be a great disadvantage for me, working for Panje Bukowski. I need to know more.”

“I can understand your need for more information. Let me tell you. Firstly, the position at the estate really is very nice. Panje Bukowski is warmhearted and pleasant, and he gives his manager the space he needs to get the work done. You can always come to him with any concerns. He’ll always do what he can to help.”

“If I can believe that, it makes it even harder for me to understand why you want to leave his employ.”

“That’s a long story. I visited the circus when I was a boy, and there I met and talked to the prettiest little girl I had ever seen, Nina Bufando. I have never forgotten her, even in seminary. Years later, I was responsible for the church in a small town not too far from Paszowice, when the circus came to town. Seeing Nina again brought back memories and led me to a crisis of conscience. After Circus Franzesco left, I did not expect to see her ever again, but by then I knew the calling of the priesthood was not for me. The bishop agreed with me and found me the manager position for the Bukowski estate. And when Maja confided in me about her understanding with you, I knew I was called to the circus. I have no doubt in my heart that this is the place where I’m meant to be, and where I will be happy. That’s my story.”

Wizlaw sat quietly. Slowly a bright grin spread over his face. “I believe you, Panje Wawrzyniak. If you’ll be so kind as to wait here a moment, I’ll bring Panni Chan to get the girls, and then we’ll go see the owner, Panje Franzesco.”

No comments:

Post a Comment