Thursday, May 24, 2012

Mustard and Love 8


Tony focused on his ice cream, and Isabella took a sip of the very good coffee and leaned back.
Brett watched Tony eat. “He sure looks like Fernando. Did you and he get married then?”
Isabella shook her head, not trusting her traitorous voice. ‘We split up three years ago.”
“That’s too bad. But tell me more about you. I already know you’re a great cook. Do you like cooking?”
Isabella’s sat straighter. This was a much more comfortable subject. “I do. I studied with Chef Moreau, from France.”
 “And what brought you to work for the Spice Experience?”
“The hours are so much better. I have more time to be with my son, and that was worth it.” She played with her coffee spoon. “Also, being able to create new and interesting taste experiences with unusual spices was very attractive to me.” She took another sip of coffee. “Have you seen or heard of Fernando in the last year or so? Maybe he’d like to know how his son is doing.”
Brett’s eyes were bright, as if he were smiling at a private joke. “I’m so sorry. I haven’t. I’ll ask some of our old classmates if they’ve seen him and let you know.”
Tony clattered his spoon into the empty ice cream bowl. “Can I have more, Mom?”
“No, sweetheart. That was plenty.” She cleaned his face with his napkin. “We need to take you home. It’s already past your bedtime.”
“Do I have to?”
“Yes. But first we’ll have a fun bath, okay?”
“’kay.”
Bret had watched them, smiling. Isabella had the feeling that his smile hadn’t quite reached his eyes. She still had no idea whether he liked Tony or not. This guy was hard to figure out. She drank the rest of her coffee and rose.
Brett also rose. “You know, being a food chemist, I’d love to talk with you more about spices and what you do with them. Could we meet again sometime?”
Isabella hadn’t considered a second date, but then again, it wasn’t such a bad idea. And talking about the spice would be fun. Most people she knew could care less. Maybe she had found a kindred soul in Brett. But she wouldn’t be too eager. “See me at the Spice Experience. We can talk then.” She helped Tony from his booster. “I really need to go.”

No comments:

Post a Comment