Saturday, May 26, 2012

Mustard and Love 10


Fernando stood before her looking into her eyes, gathering his thoughts. She’d forgotten how slowly he spoke. At the memory a sword went through her heart.
Finally he spoke. “I never meant to leave you and Tony. I wanted to marry you, remember?”
“So what kept you from doing so?” She couldn’t hide the venom in her voice.
“I was kidnapped that day.”
“You what? Kidnapped? I don’t believe you. You better come up with something better than that.”
“Please hear me out. My friend Brett Doukas, who had just started with Mamie’s All Foods Company, asked me to see him after classes. He had something interesting to tell me, he said. Instead, when I entered his apartment, I was hit over the head and woke up in the basement of some apartment.”
Isabella wanted to scream at him. He was lying. If that were true he wouldn’t be here right now. He’d be at the police station, at the least. And who would keep a man captive for three years? And Brett was supposed to have done that? No way. “Get out,” she almost screamed, but kept her voice low with an effort so as not to wake Tony. “I don’t ever want to see you again and hear your lies.”
Fernando held out his hands. “Please, Isabella. It had something to do with that trip I took while you were pregnant. I went to Costa Rica for three months, remember? You hated to have me gone so long, but it was part of my doctoral work, and I had to go.”
It took all her effort to keep the tears at bay. She ripped the door open again. “Leave now. And don’t come back.”
Fernando hesitated. “Tony? Can I see Tony? Please?”
She shook her head. “Not now. I can’t stand any more. Maybe… maybe some other time. You need to go now.” She pushed him toward the door.
With one last look at her, eyes beseeching her to have compassion, he left.

No comments:

Post a Comment