Tuesday, September 11, 2012

September 11

September has always been a special month for me. It's my birth month, and when I was young, it heralded winter quarters, which we usually started the beginning of November. Winter quarters meant a more steady lifestyle, and maybe a friend for more  than one week.

Years later, on September 11, 2001, I worked as an ESL teacher for the Goodwill corporation in Portland, Oregon. That morning, I had a class early, so I arrived at the corporate quarters where the classroom was located, a little before 8:00 AM.

Bit by bit, my students came in, several Chinese adults and ten or so Hispanic students. I wondered why so many of them came late. The students were talking to each other in animation, not seeming to be ready for the lesson.

Finally, I decided to start. "Let's look at last week's homework," I said.

A young man from Mexico, Juan, raised his hand. 

I called on him, wondering whether he forgot his homework again.

"Have you not heard? New York was bombed today."

And that was how I found out about the attack.

I wasn't sure what had happened, but decided that the students' excitement and their efforts to explain exactly what happened, would be a great exercise in using English, which they were trying so hard to learn.

Later that day, when I came home, I discovered some other news I hadn't known. 

When I arrived, Ken and I discussed the situation with our teenagers who had come home early from school.

As the conversation petered out, and I decided to go into the kitchen to make some supper, Ken announced, "I have some good news, too."

Liesel frowned. "What news can possibly be good on a day like this?"

Ken turned to Liesel and Meagan. "The news I have will bring hope and light on this terrible day."

"No way," the girls said, almost in unison. "What is it?"
 
"You girls became aunts this morning."

Jacob and his older brother Daniel in 2009

Suddenly smiles appeared on Ken's and the girls' faces, and questions about the new baby and his mom pushed out the sad and disturbed thoughts.

Ken told us one thing I'll never forget. "When Jen was in labor," he said, "One of the nurses asked her how it felt to have a baby on such a sad day. 'It feels wonderful,' Jen answered. 'This is just the day to bring some goodness and light into the world. I know my child will be special.'"

And that's how it came about that we felt hope and happiness on the saddest day in America in 2001.

Jacob is turning eleven today, and I can't wait to go and congratulate him. He truly is a special boy!

No comments:

Post a Comment