Saturday, September 8, 2012

Big, Black Bike, Part Two

Our new bike looked a lot like this one, but the fenders were black, too.


With slumped shoulders, we three girls went outside. “Let’s wait for the bicycle. Maybe Mutti will change her mind,” Carmen said.
Josefa nodded. “Yes. Maybe she will.”
I had an idea. “Let’s talk to Vati. Maybe he’s in a good mood and lets us have it.”
Carmen nodded, and as a united front we approached the merry-go-round.
Just then, Mutti’s voice came from the caravan. “Essen kommen, come eat!”
Standing on the ladder, Vati unhooked the last of the protective canvas from the top of the merry-go-round and let it drop to the floor. He came down the ladder, wiping his hands along his pants.
Carmen bent and picked up a piece of the canvas. “I’ll help you Vati.”
“Let it lie until after lunch.”
Carmen walked in step with Vati, with me and Josefa lagging behind. Carmen looked up at Vati. “Can we have a bicycle? We’re old enough.”
“They’re too expensive.”
We had arrived at the steps to the caravan and Vati went up, with us following behind.
In the door, Carmen said, “It’s a used one. The boy only wants five tickets and five Marks.”
He said, “Don’t bother me with that now. Let’s eat.” I thought he sounded thoughtful, not mad.
We sat in our customary seats around the table, and Mutti ladled soup into our soup plates. A plate with buttered bread sat in the center of the table.
As we ate, we children were quiet, and Vati was talking to Mutti about boring stuff like how long they would keep the merry-go-round open tonight. I ignored them, thinking about riding a bike instead. I couldn’t wait to try.
After lunch, it was Carmen’s and Josefa’s turn to take care of the dishes. Vati left to put away the canvas and open the attractions. I trailed after him. As he went down the steps, the boy we had met before came from the side where he had probably been waiting, pushing a big, black men’s bike toward us. He looked at Vati, then focused on me. “Here is the bike. You can have it for five tickets and five Marks.”
I looked up at Vati. “Please? It would be so much fun. And it’s not expensive either.”
Vati bent and inspected the tires. He rose. “Five Marks is too much. How about I give you ten free tickets and two Marks.”
The boy grinned. “Ten tickets! Wow. You can have it for ten tickets and two Marks.” He pushed the bike toward me and I grabbed it by front, under the handlebars.
Vati dug two one-Mark pieces out of his pocket and held them out to the boy. “Come over to the merry-go-round and I’ll get you your tickets.”
They marched off and left me standing there, heart pounding and holding the bike.

More tomorrow!

No comments:

Post a Comment