Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Oktoberfest Part 6 - The Bathroom!



On our way back to the rides, we wove around a group of laughing young men, waving empty and half-full beer glasses. We were close to the fence that separated the fairgrounds from Munich proper.

Liesel slowed and grabbed my hand. “I have to go to the bathroom.”

“Me too. Let’s find a toilet.”

Ken stopped and looked around. “There are bound to be toilets around here somewhere.”

I also searched the outside perimeter of the Wies’n.

Suddenly, Liesel’s broke into an outburst of giggles. “I found the toilets,” she said between laughter and pointed to the right. “ It’s called a pisser!” Her giggle turned to gales of laughter. 

 
 Here's a picture of Liesel's Pissoir

I smiled, since I knew the American connotation of the work. In Germany, however, as in France, a section of the toilets for men is labeled ‘Pissoir,’ which is a French word.

But for my American Liesel, this was a brand-new experience. “Come on, Mom. I need to take a picture of that.” Her need to go bathroom was forgotten by the new experience.

She made me stand in front of the building, and I had to point to the sign. I too had to laugh, more at Liesel’s delight than at the sign. She took several pictures, and then I had to take some pictures of her, too, before we finally could use the bathroom.

Like most German bathrooms, you pay for using the public toilets, but you are also presented with a very clean and pleasant place to do your business, even in the overcrowded Oktoberfest!

No comments:

Post a Comment