Monday, February 13, 2012

Verna Towne

Verna Towne in 2006. We all love and miss her!


Verna Towne passed away last night, at 91 years of age. Even though we should have been prepared, the family is reeling. Grandma was a great and wonderful influence in all our lives, and for me, she had become a true mother. The next few blog posts will be about her and about me getting to know and love her. Here’s the first one. 


Culture Shock

It was dark when we arrived at my husband’s parents home in Colorado. I was jetlagged and my head kept dropping onto my chest on the ride from the airport. I had only one desire, to find a bed and sleep.

Gary opened the car door and helped me out of the car. A large dog came up to me, alternately barking and wagging its tail. I shrank back. That dog was larger than a German shepherd, with thick, dark fur. He took a sniff at my extended belly, and I expected him to take a bite out of me. But before Gary could even say a word, the dog quit barking and licked my hand.

“Triton smells the baby inside you,” Gary said petting the dog who now had lost interest in me and was smiling a doggie smile at my husband. “He is never friendly to strangers, but somehow he knows you’re part of the family.”

A stranger to me, an older version of Gary, came from the house, hugged me and led me into his home.

Gary showed me a bedroom and finally I could sleep.

The next day, I watched Gary make breakfast. He turned on the faucet over the kitchen sink and let it run. Soon the water coming out steamed. I was surprised. This house had running hot water. In my apartment in Germany, I had to heat the water on the stove when I wanted it hot.

Gary said, “If you’re up to it, let’s go visit Mom in the hospital in Cortez.”

I had slept long and well, and was up to it.

I followed my husband out of the house, and that’s when culture shock really set in. 
*****

Tomorrow I'll post more about culture shock and the first time I met Verna Towne .

No comments:

Post a Comment