Wednesday, January 18, 2012

Turning to Christ


We were all alone on a busy street in Wiesbaden, and had no idea how to get home again. I was cold and hungry. Josefa sniffled, either from the cold or from suppressed tears.
 “Come on,” I said brusquely. I had to do something, and decided to go straight ahead.
But Josefa didn’t come after me.
“My feet hurt,” she said.
She stood rooted to the middle of the crowded sidewalk.
“Come on.” I stamped my foot.
 Josefa shook her head. Her face screwed up and two large tears rolled down her cheeks. She opened her mouth and wailed.
People jostled around us, ignoring our little drama. Cars roared by, and I barely heard Josefa’s wail in the din. The cold air smelled like Vati’s tractor when he turned it off.
I rubbed my hands. Why wouldn’t anyone help us? I turned to Josefa.
“Don’t cry,” I said. “My feet hurt, too. But we have to get home.”
Josefa didn’t move. She cried harder.
I swallowed my own tears and pulled on her arm.  “Shush,” I said. “If you want to go home, we have to keep going.”
Fear settled in my stomach like a hard stone. A sense of failure engulfed me. Instead of Carmen, I was finally in charge, and I had messed up. My responsibility for Josefa added to my fear. I needed to make things right for her. She depended on me, but I, myself, was helpless. How I wished I knew where to go!
Suddenly the thought of Jesus lit up my mind. Jesus would help. Just like He answered the prayers of the children in the pamphlets I read, He would help me too. But I better not let my sister and the people around see me pray. They would laugh at me.
Josefa was still crying. She wouldn’t hear me. So, instead of folding my hands, I balled them inside my pockets, screwed my eyes shut, and whispered quietly, so only Jesus could hear me, “Jesus, You love me. Please help us get back home. Please. Amen.”
I was still cold when I opened my eyes again, but the stone in my stomach had dissolved. The people around us may not care, but we were not alone.
I patted my sister on the arm. “It’s all right,” I said. “We’ll find the way home. Let’s go, okay?”
Josefa wiped her face with her sleeve and nodded.
However, I still didn’t know what to do.

No comments:

Post a Comment